Britain’s new car market hasn’t been busier. 2015 was a record year for new car sales as registrations hit an all-time-high of 2.63 million, a 6% uplift on 2014’s performance and 2.3% up on 2003, previously the strongest year for new car sales.
Several reasons for that; attractive finance deals and low inflation complimented a recovering and ever more confident economy, while car showrooms were filled with some of the most innovative, high-tech and fuel efficient vehicles ever produced. But which were the most popular with UK buyers in 2015?
5. Nissan Qashqai (60,814 units, +21.85% on 2014 sales) Car Dealer Deals Nissan already knew it had struck gold with the original Qashqai and its follow-up has proved to be just as popular. Qashqai sales grew by a fifth in 2015 (+21.85) with almost 61,000 registered, and its little wonder why as the second generation SUV outshines its direct rivals with relative ease.
4. Volkswagen Golf (73,409 units, –0.63%) Non-mover Golf retains the number four spot from 2014, and the hatchback’s lofty ranking is no shock to us; it’s one of the most searched-for models on our site. Interest in the evergreen Golf seems relatively unscathed following VW’s emissions trouble because there will always be demand for a car that this stylish, fun to drive, cheap to run and super practical.
3. Ford Focus (83,816 units, –1.55%) Total Ford Focus sales since launch exceeds 1.75 million units in July Once the UK’s best seller before it was dethroned by the Fiesta in 2009, the Focus slips one place to third but the Golf rival’s balance of power, economy and price continues to strike a chord with UK motorists.
2. Vauxhall Corsa (92,007 units, +12.50%) Vauxhall-Corsa-5-Door-293295 Vauxhall’s efforts to rework its supermini into a Fiesta-beater at the end of 2014 may not have paid off so far but it has been enough to elevate the Corsa one spot to second with sales up 12.5% in 2015. Corsa makes up a third of all Vauxhalls sold in the UK and with deals starting from under £100 a month, it’s easy to see why.
1. Ford Fiesta (133,434 units, +1.66%) It’s six years in a row for the Fiesta and the race for the UK’s top spot wasn’t even close; the Fiesta outsold the Corsa by more than 41,000 units with 133,434 sold. Sporty handling, athletic looks, well built, and cheap to lease, the Fiesta’s ongoing reign seems all but certain.
Ref: Contract Hire and Leasing – J.Simpson